Friday, May 20, 2011

Thing 11: A Nutrition-Tracking App with Flexible Values

I like data. You might have noticed. BRING ME ALL THE DATA! I keep a lot of data on myself, because I don't trust myself to notice changes; among other things, I use a nutrition-tracking Android app called Calorific. Which I love to pieces: I like its high-level approximation approach, which I think compares very favorably with the general frantically detail-obsessed approach taken by most nutrition-tracking apps. In Calorific, some foods are green (fruits, vegetables, whole grains), some are yellow (non-whole grains, fish, nuts), and some are red (beef, cheese, cake). Instead of entering what you actually ate, you enter its color and portion size--the app is set up to help you figure out what the portion size was and what color it was quite painlessly.

Two things I wish it did.

Thing eleven-A: I wish Calorific integrated MealSnap-type function; there's already a feature where you can save a picture of your meal. I don't understand why you'd do this in its current form (it just saves a picture of your food! who cares?)

Thing eleven-B: Calorific assumes your eating philosophy is sort of FDA-informed. That is, whole grains are always good in any quantity, fat is always bad--which isn't necessarily everyone's. If you're aiming at natural balance and variety (where anything unprocessed in small quantities is OK) or the Paleo thing (where carbs and dairy are minimized), this ain't necessarily so. So I want Calorific to be able to switch between eating philosophies, and change the color-categorization of foods accordingly.

In this case, "universe" is once again mispronounced--this time, though, it's as WorkSmart Labs. Come on guys, make this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment